We got a call last night from our good friends, Holly & Ken McManus of Mod Coffeehouse regarding the relief effort they have put together with Alex Gonzalez and Tony Gonzalez for the fire victims in Bastrop, Magnolia and surrounding areas.
Over 1,400 homes have been destroyed and the fires are still going – many communities are in need as resources are stretched thin. (And as Islanders, many of us are all too familiar with this need).
Alex Gonzalez, along with Tony Gonzalez, Ken and Holly McManus are coordinating a relief effort to collect items for fire victims. Bobby Hicks of U-Haul has donated a large U-Haul truck and trailers to transport items to a distribution center, where donated items will be provided to persons in need.
We hope all of you will drop off needed items at the following drop-off stations around town. They are collecting this week.
They are collecting the following needed items for affected communities:
- New, packaged undergarments for women, men, and boys and girls of all ages.
- Shoes for ages 10 and under, both genders
- Socks (men, women and children)
- Toiletries (tooth brush, hair comb, tooth paste)
- Baby diapers, baby wipes
- Coloring books, crayons
- Baby clothing
- O’Connell College Prep High School 1320 Tremont (AKA Avenue M) 7:30am-4pm
- Holy Family Catholic School 2601 Ursuline (AKA Avenue N ) 7:30 am-4pm
- Smooth Tony’s Corner Restaurant 902 Postoffice Smooth Tony’s Corner Restaurant 10am-3pm
An additional collection site will be available Friday at:
- Mod Coffeehouse (2126 Postoffice St.) from 12p-7p
Many thanks to our great fellow Islanders Holly & Ken McManus and Tony & Alex Gonzalez for spearheading this effort! And please spread the word!