So the first day of the 2011 Galveston Island Beach Revue is one week away! With this being our 3rd year putting on the Revue and resurrecting the historic Bathing Beauties Contest, I thought we could share some tips as well as give you more info on what’s going down.
So here goes. And remember admission is free to all Beach Revue events!
Friday Night, May 20: Bands & Bombshells
7pm to 10:30pm in Downtown Galveston
1. Go Vintage & Get Pinned Up. - We’re excited to announce that we’ve got a Pin Up photographer coming out to Bands & Bombshells. So get your vintage on and come ready to get some Pin Up shots taken of you with or without a vintage Cadillac as a backdrop! For more information on the photographer, Alyssa Holub and Mileslove Studios Eye Candy, click here!
2. Meet Us Downtown – We officially kick off your Galveston summer at 7pm which means parking is free downtown. (Of course parking is still at a premium – we are on an Island). Don’t wanna drive? Walk, bike, line up a cab, etc!
3. We’re Outside - Yup we’ll meet you outside at Saengerfest Park. And don’t let the fencing fool you – it is free to get in.
4. Bring Some Dough -That fencing I just mentioned is due to the cash bar! So bring your cash for beverages! Also, we’ll have a merchandise booth set up to purchase your Pin Up shots and Beach Revue souvenirs. Hungry? Visit any of our downtown eateries to fill your belly including Bands and Bombshells’ sponsor, Yaga’s Cafe
5. Bring the Kids - Kids are welcome – we got music and room to roam! So bring ‘em out for music and dancing for an evening under the stars in Downtown Galveston.
Saturday Mid-Morning, May 21: Salute to the Bathing Beauties
11am to 1:30pm Hotel Galvez Lawn
1. Parking is Primo – So get thee to the Seawall early. Now you’ve gotten primo parking for both the lawn party and the main event!
2. Again We’re Outside – So bring your hats and sunblock people. Drinks and food will be provided until the Hotel Galvez runs out.
4. Salute the Queen – And don’t miss the Bathing Beauties as they salute the historic Hotel Galvez in celebration of her 100th year as the Queen of the Gulf!
5. Definitely Bring the Kiddos – The Hotel Galvez is putting on quite a spread including games, refreshments and music. Perfect mix of things to do while overlooking the Gulf.
Saturday Afternoon, May 21: Bathing Beauties Contest
2pm to 4pm Beachfront, Hotel Galvez
1. Baby it’s Hot Outside -Since Beach Revue is the official kick-off to your Galveston summer, we’re all about enjoying Island life outside. This event is on the actual beach. So come prepared to be standing in the sun and sand which means at least slather on the ol’ sunblock and don a hat. And outfit your kids and dogs accordingly (don’t forget a water bowl along with a leash for the pooch).
2. Refreshments Just in case you forget your own, we’ll have water, some sodas, and sunblock for sale at the Souvenir booth.
3. For the Big & Lil’ Kids – We’re on the beach. Again, can we emphasize anymore that this is a family friendly affair? Aside from the beach though, we’re hosting a Hula Hoop Contest at Intermission which is the time between the Modern and Vintage portions of the Contest. Open to all ages!
4. Surround Seating -You’ve got your choice in seating depending on what time you arrive for the main event. It’s first come, first serve, so you’ve got Seawall seating and beachside seats on 3 sides (one side is pretty much blocked by tents). You can stand or bring a chair. Chairs may also be available for rental that day on the beach.
5. Honor Our Armed Forces - This year’s Beach Revue falls on a very special day – Armed Forces Day – so don’t be late or you’ll miss the national anthem and perhaps an additional surprise.